In the state of Texas and across the United States, people living and working in deregulated energy markets have the right to select the energy supplier of their choice for their home or business. Deregulated markets work like a reverse auction, with suppliers competing to offer the lowest rate. Independent companies purchase this bulk energy based on careful predicted use calculations. They then provide the most competitive rate possible for their customers based on the predicted supply-demand algorithm. This energy is transported to homes or businesses through local utility companies. In regulated markets, consumers must use whatever supplier the utility defaults to, without the option of shopping the rates offered by the independent suppliers.
As one of the largest energy marketplaces in the state, Integrity Energy is here to help you navigate the different rates and offerings of the top-rated independent suppliers, including industry leaders such as Energy Harbor, AEP, Reliant Energy, and more!
Wait, What is PowertoChoose.org?
Great question! The Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT) provides oversight of the Texas energy market. PowertoChoose.org is the PUCT’s official website and lists all the suppliers available across the state. But, unlike Integrity Energy, the PUCT does not provide information regarding a company’s unique rate plans or customer reviews. And, unlike Integrity Energy, the PUCT does not offer personalized and expert assistance in switching to a new provider and getting your commercial energy service set up from start to finish.
Deregulated Energy in the State of Texas
Texas is the energy capital of the United States and home to the greatest concentration of energy company headquarters in the country. The Lone Star state is one of many that offer residents and businesses their choice of Retail Energy Providers (REPs). The vast majority of Texans are serviced through these deregulated energy suppliers. Texas business and industrial consumers have a great number of options when it comes to selecting an energy provider. This benefits businesses in several ways, including:
- Lower Rates: A large number of suppliers means increased competition in the deregulated market, which drives down energy rates for businesses.
- Custom Billing Solutions: Flexibility in pricing and billing structure is another benefit of the deregulated market. Many suppliers offer unique or customizable pricing plans in an effort to stand out in a competitive market.
- Enhanced Customer Service: Pricing isn’t the only point of competition for energy suppliers. Customer service increasingly sets suppliers apart from the competition, and consumers in deregulated markets enjoy premium service and sophisticated consumer platforms.
- Greener Energy Options: Suppliers recognize that consumers want environmentally friendly energy options. Many business owners are looking to go green with alternative energy sources. The deregulated market allows consumers to select an alternative energy option like wind or solar power, helping them implement or create environmental goals for their business or industry.
Energy rates change with supply and demand
It’s important to remember that energy rates are highly volatile and change constantly, especially in a deregulated market. Finding the best electricity rate is important to maximizing your business’s energy budget. Using the right network of commercial electricity providers is key to making a sustainable choice for your business.
Integrity Energy can help minimize this fluctuation by helping you find the best energy plan for you.
Additional Things to Know About Business Electricity Rates in the State of Texas
- Small vs. Big Business: The Small Business Administration (SBA) defines businesses in Texas with less than 500 employees as “small,” whether they have 1 or 499 people on staff.
- Industry Defines Your Rate: Whichever category your small business falls into defines the commercial rate of electricity you receive. For example, a retail shop pays a different rate than an account office, a transportation company or an industrial small business.
Commercial Electricity Rates Are Made Up of 3 Costs
- Wholesale: This cost incorporates electricity production (running the power plant), transporting the electricity, and repairing and maintaining that equipment.
- Supply: This is the charge you see on your electric bill as your usage in kilowatt-hour (kWh). It covers the costs of creating and moving electricity.
- Delivery: This relates to the customer service and local distribution of commercial electricity.
Are Other States Deregulated, Too?
Yes! Currently, 30 states are deregulated for energy at some level. 14 states are deregulated for both electricity and natural gas, 21 states are deregulated for electricity alone and 24 states are deregulated for natural gas alone. These states include:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
Because deregulated markets put the power of energy choice into the consumers’ hands, suppliers must win over their customers. This rivalry among suppliers can lead them to offer more competitive pricing and improved energy technologies (including renewable technologies) in order to earn the business of energy shoppers.
Integrity Energy is Your Partner in the Deregulated Energy Market of Texas
From Houston to El Paso, Integrity Energy is ready to partner with your business in finding the best energy rates and services for your bottom line in the state of Texas. With over 130 retail electric suppliers operating in the state, the options when choosing energy in Texas can be overwhelming. But the energy experts at Integrity Energy are knowledgeable and armed with an in-depth understanding of the markets (including Austin, Dallas and Forth Worth) and suppliers. We prioritize your business needs and match you with a plan that provides consistent energy savings, while explaining unfamiliar terms and helping you navigate your new contract evey step of the way. We believe that keeping the lights on for your business should be as easy as flipping a switch!
Let Integrity Energy eliminate the complications and dig through the details for you. If you're unsure where to start,contact one of our experienced Energy Consultants today!
More Energy Questions?
- Read our fact sheet to get all your business questions answered.
- Subscribe to our monthly newsletter at the bottom of this page for the latest commercial energy market trends, tips, and updates right to your inbox.
- Read our blog for more energy-saving ideas!
- Wondering if your business can benefit from our services? We serve small and large businesses, churches, restaurants, government buildings, and many more.